The Mathematics Department at Ridgewood is based in a self contained block of 7 teaching rooms and one small study space. Every room is well resourced including interactive boards in every room. The Maths team is made up of six full time specialist staff with a vast range of experience in successfully helping young people to find success in their mathematics. We are also fortunate to have an exceptional team of support staff to help provide individual help for those students who need it.
Key Stage 3
Our Year 7 course has three levels of study:
- Analysing and displaying Data, Calculating, Expressions functions and Formulae, Graphs, Factors and Multiples, Decimals and Measures, Angles and lines, measuring and Shapes. Fractions Decimals and Percentages, Transformations.
- Analysing and displaying Data, Number skills, Expressions functions and Formulae, Decimals and Measures, Fractions , Probability, ratio and proportion, Lines and Angles, Sequences and Graphs, Transformations
- Analysing and displaying Data, Number skills, Equations functions and Formulae, Fractions, Angles and Shapes, Decimals, Equations, Multiplicative reasoning, Perimeter, Area and Volume, Sequences and graphs.
Our Year 8 course has three levels of study:
- Number properties and Calculation, Shapes and Measures in 3D, Statistics, Expressions and equations, Decimal calculation, Angles, Number properties, Sequences, Fractions and Percentages, Probability.
- Number, Area and Volume, Statistic charts and Graphs, Expressions and equations, Real life graphs Decimals and ratio, Lines and Angles, Calculating with fractions, Straight line graphs, Percentages decimals and fractions.
- Factors and Powers, 2D shapes and 3D solids, Real life graphs, transformations, fractions decimals and Percentages, construction and loci, probability, Scale drawing and Measure. Graphs.
- Unit 1: Integers and place value, Decimals, Indices, powers and roots, Factors, Multiples and Primes
- Unit 2: Algebra: the basics, Expanding and factorising single brackets, Expressions and substitution into formulae
- Unit 3.Data from Tables, Charts and graphs, Scatter graphs & Pie charts
- Unit 4: Fractions, decimals and percentages
- Unit 5: Equations, Inequalities
- Unit 1. Calculations checking and rounding, indices, Roots, reciprocals, and hierarchy of operations, factors multiples and primes, Standard form and Surds
- Unit 2. Basic algebra, writing rearranging and solving equations, Sequences
- Unit 3. Averages and range, representing data including scatter graphs
- Unit 4. Fractions Percentages, ratio and proportion
- Unit 5. Polygons, Angles, Parallel lines, Pythagoras theorem and trigonometry
- Unit 6. Basic graphs and real life graphs, Linear graphs and Coordinate geometry
- Unit 5. Sequences
- Unit 6. Properties of shapes, Parallel lines and angle facts, interior and exterior angles of polygons.
- Unit 7. Statistics and Sampling. Averages.
- Unit 8. Area and Perimeter, 3D forms, Volume and surface area.
- Unit 9. Real life graphs, Straight line graphs.
- Unit 10. Transformations.
- Unit 11. Ratio and Proportion.
- Unit 12. Right angled Triangles, Pythagoras and Trigonometry.
- Unit 13. Probability.
- Unit 14. Multiplicative reasoning.
- Unit 6. Quadratic, Cubic and other graphs.
- Unit 7. Perimeter, area and Circles 3D forms and volume, Cylinders, Cones and Spheres.
- Unit 8. Transformations, construction, Loci and bearings. Solving Quadratic and Simultaneous equations.
- Unit 10. Probability.
- Unit 11. Multiplicative reasoning
- Unit 12. Similarity and Congruence in 2 and 3D.
- Unit 13. Graphs of trigonometric Functions and further Trigonometry.
- Unit 14. Collecting Data, Cumulative frequency, Box plots and Histograms.
- Unit 15. Plans and Elevations, Construction, Loci and Bearings.
- Unit 16. Quadratic equations, expanding and Factorising, Quadratic graphs.
- Unit 17. Circles Cylinders, Cones and Spheres.
- Unit 18. Fractions and reciprocals, Indices and standard form.
- Unit 19. Similarity and Congruence, Vectors.
- Unit 20. Rearranging equations Graphs of cubic and reciprocal functions and simultaneous equations
- Unit 15. Quadratics, expanding more than two brackets, sketching graphs graphs of circles, cubes and quadratics.
- Unit 16. Circle theorems , circle geometry.
- Unit 17. Changing the subject of formulae, algebraic fractions rationalising surds and proofs.
Maths remains a key subject demanded by most post 16 destinations and society in general. It is the aim of our team to ensure that every Ridgewood student is given the maximum opportunity to fulfil their potential.